Responsible for the day-to-day business development and commercial account relationship management functions of the credit union. Successfully prospects for new business and commercial relationships and retains and expands existing member relationships. Under the direction of the VP Specialized Lending, manages commercial loan and portfolio credit quality. Performs administrative tasks to support the Commercial Lending department including maintaining files and documentation, both paper and electronic. Analyzes applicant credit and completes annual reviews and renewals. Assist with the collections of commercial accounts. Performs lending services to assist in meeting members' needs.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
40% - Travels to various businesses and clients to develop lending and deposit business for the Credit Union. Calls on clients to expand existing business; calls on prospects seeking opportunities to expand the Credit Union's client base. Takes new applications for commercial loan business. Travel to locations outside of office typically required.
25% - Interviews, examines, evaluates, decisions and processes consumer and commercial loan applications for members within approved lending authority. Reviews member financial condition and performs the initial credit analysis to determine if members' credit request satisfy policy and procedural guidelines. Prepares and processes all documentation for those credit transactions. Completes or directs completion of all loan documents and closes loans. Prepare files for audit after closing loans.
10% - Serve as primary liaison between Credit Union and Member Business Loan (MBL) CUSO. Monitor all MBL processes including participation loans and Small Business Administration (SBA) loans. Responsible for overseeing the annual review process and ensuring compliance with MBL policy.
10% - Represents the Credit Union at various functions to develop and maintain business relationships.
5% - Maintain loan/credit files in an orderly and professional manner. Update files with new or relevant information as necessary including current balance sheets, profit & loss statements, cash flow projections and all loan documentation. Provide technical support, including data entry, scanning documents, etc. in order to maintain the integrity of the data stored and saved within the loan servicing system.
5% - Monitors existing loan portfolio to maintain a high-quality asset base. Assists members with loan or relationship related questions and concerns, including loan modifications and payment issues. Also assists with commercial account collections.
5% - Performs other job related duties as assigned.
- Under the direction of the VP Specialized Lending, develop strategic goals and targets for new and existing business development and commercial relationships. Assist in designing, developing and implementing programs, products and services related to commercial loan and deposit accounts.
- Serve as a primary liaison and contact for the credit union's existing and future commercial accounts and serve as the credit unions primary contact for commercial business development.
- Pursue and identify commercial loan and deposit clients and service accounts. Present the products/services of the credit union, analyze requests, recommend the request and continue until the request has been satisfied and closed. Ongoing monitoring of the accounts will be required, including periodic loan reviews. Assist in the collection of commercial delinquencies as required.
- Perform functions relating to loan services, to include providing information about the services, interviewing applicants, determining collateral needs and payment plans, reviewing, processing and closing loan applications. Approve consumer and commercial loans up to authorized level, prepare all loan documents, schedule appointments, disburse funds, and mail notices following federal and Credit Union laws, regulations and policies.
- Administer Business Deposit Accounts/Services including creation and implementation of new business products and services, selling MBL deposit accounts/services and managing the ongoing performance of the portfolio.
- Work directly with vendors that support the credit unions commercial account related products and services (including merchant card services, remote check capture, payroll services, etc.). Provide due diligence on vendors and products when required.
- Establish and maintain a system to monitor results of new commercial loan and deposit business and subsequent product penetration and report regularly to management on results of business development and commercial loan and deposit growth efforts.
- Serve as primary liaison between Credit Union and Member Business Lending (MBL) CUSO. Monitor reports and report to management while ensuring compliance with Credit Union member business lending policy.
- Serve as the primary contact for loan participations with other financial institutions. The functions involved with loan participation duties are included but not limited to: a,) Evaluating requests for participation loans and following through with credit union decision. b.) Perform due diligence on the financial institution offering the participation for consideration. c.) Ongoing monitoring of the payments and back office needs of the loan such as insurance verifications, government reporting, loan reviews, etc. d.) Prepare any loans identified to be sold by Service 1st so that they are compliant and ready to be sold to other financial institutions. e.) Frequent contact with our MBL CUSO will be required on any participation loans being serviced by the CUSO. Frequent contact with the participating Credit Unions will be required as well.
- Assists with maintaining the SEG database and SEG development efforts as needed.
- Provide support to MBL CUSO lenders with financial statement analysis, loan documentation, clerical tasks and documentation collection as required.
- Assist with internal audits and examinations.
- Establish and maintain involvement in community efforts. Be a visible presence in the local communities. Promote the credit union through visible participation in business, community and charitable organizations and activities.
- Assist in training credit union staff in areas relating to commercial products and services in addition to general, commercial and SEG business development.
- Maintain an excellent knowledge of financial services offered by the credit union and be knowledgeable of competitors' services.
- Promote all products and services with cross-selling to meet members', SEG or commercial needs.
- Develop recommendations for cost efficiencies and enhancements to products, pricing and processes by monitoring trends in operations and the financial industry.
- Provide informed, prompt, professional and accurate service and support to all members and associates.
- Assist with other member and financial services as necessary.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of state and federal laws related to commercial lending, including any federal or state reporting requirements.
- Maintain eligibility and continuing education requirements necessary to obtain and maintain various licenses required to sell insurance and/or analyze loans.
- Travel on a regular basis to visit potential and existing commercial clients, branch locations and SEGS to ensure level of service meets credit union's quality service standards.
- Maintain a current understanding of lending regulations and comply with policies and regulations including, but not limited to, Bank Secrecy Act, Truth in Lending, Fair Lending, RESPA, HMDA, FCRA and the SAFE Act.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience - Two years of relevant experience in the financial services industry or as a credit analyst is required. Must demonstrate proven business development and financial analysis skills. Experience analyzing business financial statements and assessing the viability of businesses is required. Knowledge of the Credit Union movement and philosophy is preferred.
Internal candidates without credit analyst experience may be considered who have a minimum of two years experience working for Service 1st in a lending, sales, business development or member service related position.
Education - (1) A two year college degree or (2) Completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school.
Interpersonal Skills - The ability to motivate or influence others is a material part of the job, requiring a significant level of diplomacy and trust. Obtaining cooperation (internally and/or externally) is an important part of the job.
- A valid state driver's license is required.
- Requires proficient personal computer skills with the ability to learn new software.
- Requires intermediate mathematical skills (calculations and concepts involving decimals, percentages, fractions, etc.)
- Requires professional, well-developed interpersonal skills necessary for projecting and communicating a positive image.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Requires exertion of up to 20 pounds of force to occasionally move objects.
- Involves sitting most of the time. Walking and standing are required occasionally.
- Repetitive finger movements to perform typing or otherwise working with paper files and documents.
- Requires close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures; view a computer terminal; read; assess work quality and operate a motor vehicle.
- Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
This Job Description is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities comprising the position.
Service 1st Federal Credit Union provides equal opportunity without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in employment and in our business activities.